Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official West London Eagles Handball Club app


Men's First Team - Match centre

London GD
West London Eagles
Sat 20 Jan 16:30 - League Full time

Another close defeat for the Eagles


After a recent uptick in form, having recorded 2 wins and a draw in the previous 3 competitive games, the Eagles were hoping to continue building momentum.

Facing the league's table toppers, London GD, the Eagles team knew this would be no easy task.

The game started off with a defensive focus; in danger of getting sent to the showers early after two quick suspensions, Tony Sharp nevertheless managed to keep the defence focused throughout the match.
With that, the Eagles, also individually marking GD's playmaker, looked set to put up a fight and the game stayed level throughout most of the first half.
After some slips of focus, however, GD managed to pull ahead and finish the half three goals ahead, with the scoreboard at 11-8 in the host's favour.

The second half saw two teams trading goals in lock-step. The Eagles managed to level, which was countered by GD with quick goals to pull back ahead by two.
After a GD time-out the host changed their defence, individually marking Romas Sakovicius and Lucas Carstens. Despite this change in tactic, the Eagles stayed cool-headed and pulled back within one goal. The score at 25-24 in GD's favour, the leading team turned the ball over to offer the Eagles a final attempt at drawing the game.

With 20 seconds to go, coach Fayemi called for a time-out to announce the final play.
During the setup, Sharp offered an opportunity by moving into a free space at the line; however, this chance was thwarted by a clever GD foul, leaving just 4 seconds on the clock.
The referees, however, decided the clock was stopped too late and awarded an additional two seconds of playing time. A final free throw was executed to make use of the final six seconds, but, yet again the attack was stopped.

After confusion as to whether the table had called the game's end prematurely, the referees awarded just one more direct free throw. A desperate attempt from the far-left side of the court made it past the block, but sailed directly into the goalkeeper's arms.

With the final score line at 25-24 in GD's favour, the Eagles are left with yet another close loss, recording the third defeat by just one goal this season.
The positives, however, were clear, competing eye to eye with the league's leader, despite a small bench and six missing players. In addition, under 19s player Razvan Mihaila, for the first time playing the full 60-minute length of a senior game, showed great focus and was awarded with the player of match award.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Club sponsors